Dark Tempest





PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN THE RED WINTER TRILOGY AND THUS IT MUGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST BOOK. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE MY REVIEW FOR THE FIRST BOOK, YOU CAN FIND IT HERE


Title: Dark Tempest
Author: Annette Marie
Series: Red Winter Trilogy
Publisher: Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.
Publication Date: 06 January 2017
Source: Xpresso Book Tours
Format: Ebook
Pages: 350
Rating: 4 Stars
Reading Timeline: 22 May 2017 - 26 May 2017










Goodreads Synopsis:

Emi has dedicated her life to becoming the perfect vessel foe the goddess Amaterasu, but the insidious betrayal of another deity has changed everything. Now Amaterasu has charged Emi with an urgent mission: to find and free the earthly gods before mankind is brought to its knees beneath divine tyranny.

At her side is Shiro, the mysterious fox spirit. When she first saved his life, she could never have imagined that behind his cunning and confidence, he was lost - his power bound by a mysterious curse and he memories obscured. His veil history is somehow tied to the missing gods, but he can't remember how or why.

As their search leads them into the murky depths of the spirit realm, the shadows of Shiro's past begin to emerge. With each brief awakening of his true self, she loses a little more of him. The fate of the heavens and the earth rest in her mortal hands, and she must find the missing gods before time runs out for her world - and for Shiro.

Book Review:
Pre-reading Thoughts:

After reading the first book, I couldn't help but think meh. I am hoping that this book will catch my attention because I do love the concept of this series and the synopsis for each book sound so amazing. They are like a promise for a great adventure. Fingers crossed that this book is the one! Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for hosting a review opportunity for this series and for providing me with a copy! Please note that in no way has receiving this book affected my opinion. All thoughts are my own.

Writing Thoughts:

I have no idea as to what was different this time around, but the writing was a lot easier to get into and enjoy. I also think that because there was a lot more dialogue, it was quicker to get through and you didn't sit on the same topic for too long. I loved the dialogue, if I am honest. It was great, quirky, sarcastic and overall ,and probably most importantly, to the point.

Plot Thoughts:

So much more happened in a short amount of time in this book. I was constantly sitting and guessing and trying to answer a couple of questions that I had. And with much anticipated dismay, the questions where answered towards the end. I loved that about this book. Because all signs would point in one direction but then they wouldn't and you would just sit there second guessing yourself. It was a great read!

Character Thoughts:

Emi was a lot better in this book. She had a lot more meat to her character. There was more that was fleshed out and you could see who she actually was in this book. Emi is strongly passionate and stubborn which perhaps lends itself quite nicely into the unraveling of the plot. Her characteristics were more clear in this book. I know in the pervious book's review, I bashed the author for making her so one-dimensional and now that I have had time to contemplate everything, I see that there was a reason behind it. In the first book, Emi is only taught to live life one way and without heartbreak and character developing moments, Emi turned out like her life. One way and one dimensional. But by experiencing so many new things, she is able to develop into her true self. I can't wait to see how this journey and how Emi turn out!

Final Thoughts:

Overall, SO DAMN GOOD! Compared to the first book, this one was just amazing. From about 20% onwards, it was so difficult to put down without wondering what is going to happen next. I adored this book and I am so happy that I did! Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours for sending me this book to review! I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next book in series!

Yours in Reading,

Melleny

Comments

Popular Posts